Useful information about plastic, the advantages of plastic closures and processing methods for plastic packaging. The Plastic Bank is where we gather everything you need to know about plastic.
Plastic is an umbrella term for a large group of semi-synthetic and synthetic materials that are used in everything from the auto industry through medical engineering to packaging. Plastics are split into two main groups, thermoplastic and thermosetting plastic. Växjöplast uses only thermoplastic in its production. Thermoplastic offers many advantages because it softens when melted and can be both reshaped and easily recycled. Thermosetting plastic cannot be melted down without destroying its chemical structure, since the plastic is hardened during its manufacture.
- Low density
- Extensive design scope
- Easy to incorporate functionality
- Easily joined
- Easily coloured
- Fast manufacturing
- Cost-effective manufacturing
- Good corrosion resistance
- Good thermal insulation
- Good electrical insulation
- Easy to recycle (thermoplastic)
- PP – Polypropylene. Caps, food containers.
- PE – Polyethylene. High-density polyethylene (HDPE) and low-density polyethylene (LDPE). Bottles/cans, plastic bags.
- POM – Polyoxymethylene, acetal. Caps, cogwheels.
- PS – Polystyrene. Caps, food packaging, plastic cutlery.
- PET – Polyethylene terephthalate. PET bottles.